It’s that time of year again, windows are opening up, sunscreen is being applied, and if you’re a cleaning fanatic, Spring Fever has set in! Don’t wait until it’s too hot to move around the house, get out that duster and start cleaning today!
Let’s walk through some of the top Must-Do Spring Cleaning Tasks according to HGTV and a few tips from your blogger:
- One place you might not think to look that is definitely collecting some serious dust are the curtains. Lint roll the bottoms, then remove completely from the rod and toss in the dryer with a damp towel for 15 minutes! Tip: Adding a dryer sheet will give your home an extra clean scent.
- This is a no brainer but one we all blissfully ignore, dust the blinds. Wrap a microfiber clot around a pair of tongs. Working left to right, blade by blade, remove that stubborn dust.
- Don’t forget to look up! Clean the ceiling fan blades by placing a pillow case around the blade, using it as a dust rag. Any fallen dust will collect in the pillowcase instead of below. Genius!
- Before it gets too hot and the bugs swarm in, clean the windows. Using a damp cloth, open the windows to collect and clean any debris that have collected between the glass and screen over the winter.
- Ready to have your mind blown? Struggling to clean the screens? Take a scrap piece of carpeting and rub against the screen. For a deeper clean, remove the screens, cover in kerosene in a well-ventilated area, then remove with soap and water.
- Time to pay attention to those stinky trash cans that can attract unwanted pests! Rinse out cans with a hose, spray with disinfectant, scrub and rinse.
- Check for leaks and drafts around doors, windows, and corners. Seal open areas with silicone or calking to prevent further damage.
- Here’s another fun tip! Clean the refrigerator using salt and soda water. The abrasive salt and bubbling water makes an excellent cleaner. Rather than tackling the entire fridge, do this one shelf at a time.
- Now make your way to the bathroom and take a look at your shower head. Mineral deposits can ruin showerheads. Mist the jets with vinegar and water, let sit for a few minutes, and wipe clean with a dry cloth.
- Who doesn’t love air dried laundry? Bring your comforters, blankets, and pillows outside and hang them on a clothesline for a day. You won’t regret it!
- Speaking of comforters, have you cleaned your mattress recently? According to HGTV, we spend nearly 3,000 hours a year in our beds – nearly four months! Clean your mattress by vacuuming the surface and sprinkling a mixture of baking soda and essential oils on it. Vacuum away the residue after a few hours.
- Once your mattress is cleaned, don’t forget to rotate it! Rotating your mattress can significantly increase its lifespan and help you sleep better.
- If you haven’t watched Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix, stop what you’re doing now and check it out! You’ll thank me later. Pick up some great tips on organizing your home, especially your closet. Put away those colder climate clothes and get out the beach gear.
- Let’s not forget about the outside of your home! Get the pressure washer and wash away residue that has built up over the past six months. Clean the outside of the windows with a rag and soapy water and remove excess water with a squeegee.
- Last but not least, sweep your porch and deck. A leaf blower can save you some time by blasting away leaves, dust, and pollen. Set up the deck furniture and mix up a pitcher of lemonade because sweet summer is coming!